Monday, September 19, 2011

Two weeks gone, three to go...



It is hard not to over do it, the last week (#31) being a perfect example. It could hardly be called Recovery Week when the Sunday ride turned out to be over 4 hours and 221 on the Training Stress Score (an estimate of the overall training load and physiological stress created by that training session).

What did happen?

Well, after a good team result in the Tour the Nundah on Saturday, I felt I should show up and land a hand in the Sunday crit on the south side. It meant an early start after a sleep deprived night (hey, I can only celebrate my 51st once...), a 38 km ride to the course (I should've sat in...), a hard crit (repeat...) and a ride back home. Again, the team got a good result but, after that, my body was begging for another recovery week.




No time for that, with three weeks left to the Nationals I had to keep pushing a little harder and do another week (#32) of slightly complicated training sessions (anaerobic capacity, neuromuscular power and lactate threshold efforts). And I had to have some fun with the guys doing a short sprint session on Thursday afternoon.

It all added up again and after the recovery team ride on Friday, and work, I started to think my performance in the club championship was going to be a bad one.




With a descent breeze and an average temperature of 31 degrees (max was 36), the race was hard. It must have been even harder for the larger guys who had to negotiate a few sharp hills in those conditions. I felt tired at the start but managed to come out with a good result. I kind of accidentally got away with a couple of guys as we hit the hills for the first time. It was soon down to two of us and with 40 kms to go I was alone on the road. Also, a good preparation for the Nationals.






To finish the week, the Zupps ride. We had friends form the NSW north coast staying for the weekend. They were keen to do a Brisbane bunch ride, so why not do the old Milk Run (that's what it was first called), the best bunch ride in Brisbane.

And, it did live up to its reputation. It was a big bunch, the ride was hard, fast and even messy at times. It was an impressive ride...




That was it for the week I planned as a build week and rode as a build week, for once!




The two weeks...



No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory