Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Changing plans and a fun criterium race

It wasn't the first time and I am sure it does happen to everyone in some kind of training regime. In my situation, sickness was the reason for the first change.

Last week, I tried to keep going thinking the head-cold wouldn't last but the way I felt after the Recovery ride on Monday (admittedly not as easy as it should have been) indicated I needed to rest and stay off the bike.

So, I swapped the second week of Build for a Recovery week. In fact, I rode even less as the flu kept me in the house for a couple of days.




The way I see it, and it is probably obvious for many, we have to get rid of the sickness before we do some intensity training again, or we will end up loosing two or three weeks. A couple of days of rest and many hot lemon&honey drinks did help, specially at 1 AM while watching the Giro live.


Club Crit Championship

Club Championship races are fun races. OK, they are still very competitive but they are kind of mates racing mates and having fun. My plan was to get a good warm up for the first 15 min (I was late and drove the 5 or 6 km to the track) and then try to get rid of a couple of experienced sprinters in the bunch.

Simple but not easy because sprinters can jump quick and follow wheels very well. Hence, getting rid of them was too hard and was costing me too many matches.

Sprinters!?! I didn't want to get to the final 300 m with them so I changed my plan to riding a conservative few laps and a fully commited jump with two laps to go. A little conspicuous, I know, but I thought it was my only chance.

It did work... well, kind of.



2011 HPRW Crit Champs Masters 5 by Adam on Vimeo.


The graphs clearly show how the race went (burning matches, resting, jumping, etc) but also show the areas I need to work on. Loving the new tool!


Match burning and resting


The last two laps


Back on track with a hard Build week and then Recovery before the Tour de Tablelands, 11th to 13th June.




Ciao for now!

No comments:

 
Blogged Blog Directory