Monday, June 23, 2008

Tour de Suisse / Why cyclists shave their legs? / Sunday ride / Time Trial

Tour de Suisse
XXXX
Cancellara does it AGAIN!!!!
This time in his home town, stage 9 of the Tour de Suisse.
XXXX
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/jun08/suisse08/?id=results/suisse089
XXXX
Still, I have to feel sorry for Philippe Gilbert. He put an amazing attack in the final 1.5 km, only to get chased by an animal (O'Grady's description of the Swiss rider) getting caught with 100 m to the line.
XXX
As many of us, I have been in that situation. In my case, not even getting second place. The one I will never forget was in my first, or second, A Grade club race at Nundah. I got away with 10 min or more to go, hung there for 6 or more laps and got caught by one guy at about the same distance as Gilbert. The worse thing was seen a couple of guys coming pass in the final meters, one of them being a club "mate" after getting a lead out by someone also in the same club. I finished fourth and very unhappy!!!
XXX
Why cyclists shave their legs?
XXX
I could write a fair bit and tell all the excuses I have came up to when asked the very same question. I decided to save you of reading my often feebly words and guide you to an often well written blog where the writer came up with the best answer (or excuse?):
XXX
"It's traditional"
XXX
Dave Moulton's Blog:
http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/why-do-cyclists-shave-their-legs-only.htmllegs-only.html

XXX
Sunday Ride
XXX
To finish the week off, Sandra and I got on the bikes around 3:45 in the afternoon. The plan was to do the usual River Loop (as in the Brisbane River), meet Daniel and have coffee somewhere in town. I know, we have done it so many times, but we still love it. Perhaps for reminding us of one of the reasons we decided to move to Brisbane 3 1/2 years ago. Cycling!
XXX
It wasn't too cold to start with but, by just going down the first hill from our place, we felt the chill in the wind. I was glad to be wearing my old long pants and an under-shirt. We did the loop, took a few photos, comented on the huge number of people walking, running and cycling around town and how great it is to be doing this together and in this beautiful part of the world. A little cheesy but nice!
XXXX
We met Daniel an hour later and decided that we deserved a hot chocolate for our efforts and before the "cool" ride home.
XXX
Time: 2:00h; Dist.: 47km; Av. Speed: 22+Km/h and MaxSpeed:49km/h
XXX

Sunday afternoon in Brisbane


Sandra, back of the Uni, St Lucia

XXXX
Time Trial
XX
Aiming for a good result in the ITT Club Championship, I will start the week doing an Easy ride but will already have my TT bars on. It is going to be at Closeburn, on the road to Dayboro. I have done a lot of training in that area but that was before I started my present training program. Still, I think I might be able to do well against the club A Grade riders, if that's where the club handicaper will place me next Saturday.
XXX
Tomorrow and Thursday, I will be doing a few time trial efforts, perhaps even go to Closeburn for a hit out.
XXX
Anyway, it is going to hurt!

9 comments:

Chris said...

I do think shaving has become traditional. However, it sure makes it easier to clean up road rash. I shave my arms short as well because last time I had road rash I got tape all hung up in arm hair and pulled off some skin. Not pleasant.

tuppercole said...

Why do you think that RTMS readers care about your bike collection?

tuppercole said...

Removed my comment? Thin skin?

AMR said...

1) I don't!
2) Tough guy!

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4213956784784062266&postID=3745189599134581563&page=1

AMR said...

Chris,
You are right, it is better for sliding down the road :)
And the guy who massages my legs has commented how much better it is for him to do his job. Shame I can't have massages after every training ride or race like Pro riders...
"Traditional" sounds virtuous!

Anonymous said...

pwvswho is that SD wanker? (such a pretty photo) -is this guy for real?

AMR said...

It looks like a studio shot... and a bad one!

tuppercole said...

I was just wondering why someone brags about his collection of bikes on a humor blog post about owning too many bikes. It adds nothing to the discussion, but does show vanity nicely.

If you don't recognize my beautiful face, maybe you should polish up on your history.

AMR said...

sd,
Do me a favour!
Go back to where you started with your off-the-topic, and "funny" (your standards) comments, read my reply to them and please hang around there. Obviously, you have no awareness of where you belong with your pointless comments but I can assure you that trying here is a waste of time.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4213956784784062266&postID=3745189599134581563

June 24th, 7:41pm

The photograph? Perhaps you should use a picture of Hilary… Now, that is funny!!!

Regards,

AMR

 
Blogged Blog Directory