Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Am I too late?



It is all go at the moment! We have bought our tickets and we are now anxiously getting ready for the great experience (getaway, if you like). In twenty-one days, we are hoping to have everything we own (apart from some clothes and a suitcase full of cycling gear) sold or in storage. We will then board the big Kangaroo and head to the old continent…

Once in Germany, our starting point, we have the first most important task of assembling our new bikes. According to Sandra, it shouldn’t take too long. I, knowing myself, will spend the first 30 to 45 minutes in trance with the new Campagnolo equipped marvel. My first!




Yes, a full transition is about to be fulfilled. Why? Because after seven or eight years on the ever consistent Japanese gear (I use Ultegra), I feel it is time to try the gear that is closer linked to cycling culture and the cycling history of the roads we will be riding on.

Call me a romantic, or a dreamer, I just want to experience been part of the cult of artisans and followers who argue and endorse the group's soul-filled character.

Ideally, a Campagnolo group would be married to a classic steel Pegoretti or racy Colnago frame and I am hoping the group will last to the day when I will be able to celebrate such union.

For now, it will stay matched to a German designed, Asian constructed carbon frame. A very light combo indeed, which will help me get up those steep and celebrated roads of the Alps and the Pyrenees...

But am I too late? In a way it feels like that. The new, long waited Campagnolo EPS (eletronic) system is out - RKP Intro.

Do I want one? Maybe. Am I going to get one, ever? Perhaps not.



4 comments:

David Henderson said...

I loved riding in Italy. Enjoy!

AMR said...

Thanks, David.
We're counting the sleeps...
BTW, great sprint!

Ana Luiza said...

Good Luck in your trip to Italy .

AMR said...

Thanks Ana. We are looking forward to our "pedaladas" in Europe!

 
Blogged Blog Directory