Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tour de France - Stage 20, Cérilly - Saint Amand to Montrond (ITT), 53km

What a night that was... I didn't think staying awake until the early hours of the morning, watching an ITT was somehow possible. I also didn't know I could get so excited, and somehow so nervous, prior to the start of a bike race. And one that I wasn't even part of.

I must have sent 30 or 40 text messages in the hour preceding the live telecast, including to JF who was sitting in the media room at the finish line in Montrond (what a job! And by the way John, I found the camera bag I borrowed for the World Championship last year, sorry!).
XXXXX
Surprisingly, I got a heap of replies. Even had a couple of modern-time conversations (SMS texting). As most of the texts were within the Australian borders, they all came with a hopeful tone for a Cadel Evans showdown on the ITT and a virtual Aussie win on the Tour de France.

Well, we all know the end of the story by now so I am not going to elaborate on the hours that followed for now and we will go to bed for another hour or so, instead. I am planning to go for a long ride today. The only thing I will jot down is a message from Australia to the amazing Carlos Sastre:

Bloody Well Done, Mate!
(And that's what Cadel would say)

Carlos Sastre salutes as he (virtually) wins the 2008 Tour de France

2 comments:

Chris said...

It was Sastra's to lose and Cadel's to win. Sastra was the one who delivered. He deserves to be champ. I also think CSC made the right call to spring Sastra on the Alp du Huez. At first I questioned not working for Frank, but now I think it all makes sense.

AMR said...

I did think Sastre was the Team CSC man and letting Schleck wear the yellow was just part of Riis' tactics this year. And, part of a plan B if Sastre didn't deliver. Imagine the disaster if Frank had to deffend the yellow in the last time trial...

A great Tour!

 
Blogged Blog Directory